You’ve scanned the want ads. You’ve submitted a few resumes. Then someone suggests you contact a staffing agency.
“Why should I use a staffing agency?”
Your reaction is not that uncommon given the numerous myths about staffing agencies and their usefulness for job seekers. When you get through all the misconceptions, however, you’ll find compelling reasons that can help any job seeker—a recent college graduate, job seeker transitioning careers, or anyone looking for the job that’s the right fit.
- It’s free. It won’t cost you one cent to contact an agency to find a job. Employers pay the fees when a staffing agency finds the right candidate for their position.
- Direct connections. Some employers only list available positions through staffing agencies, with some statistics putting the number of employers as high as 90%.
- Increases your network. When finding a job, it’s all about who you know. When you go through a staffing agency, your network includes everyone the recruiter knows.
- Practice & Advice. Job recruiters are in the employment market every day. They have direct contact with employers, giving them the knowledge to help you create a quality resume. When you meet with them, they can also give you tips about your interview skills and how to improve them.
- Gives you the opportunity to earn money (and benefits!) while you explore your options. Not sure what you want to be “when you grow up?” Or are you a student who needs part time work that can hone your skills? Consider working as a temporary employee. You can earn money (and benefits) while getting real-world experience at various companies. Some staffing companies even offer paid vacations, holidays, health insurance, dental insurance and more. Best yet, applying to be a temporary employee is convenient and easy.
- They’re getting paid to get you the right job. Remember, employers pay for quality employees that are a good fit. Recruiters are motivated to find you the position that works for you—and for their client, the employer.
Why wouldn’t you want to use a staffing agency? Break through the misconceptions, and you’ll find that using a staffing agency is a strong asset in your job search.