Happy New Year! This year is especially important to Nissen Staffing Continuum, as we mark and celebrate 20 years in business. We’ve come a long way, starting off as a three-person operation and growing and expanding to being one of the largest and most successful staffing companies in Southeastern Wisconsin. Some may ask, “How did you do that?” The answer is probably simpler than you think: We Listen.
We listen to our clients when they tell us what THEY need to make their business successful. We listen to our associates when they tell us what THEY need to be successful in their careers. We listen to our staff when they suggest new and better ways to do things. We listen to both our supporters and critics, because each of them tell us something new from a different perspective.
As your trusted career advisor, all of this listening has given us a lot of insight that can help you. While this list isn’t inclusive of everything we’ve learned, we hope that some of our learnings will help you grow into a successful career.
- Integrity comes first. Be honest, do the right thing, and never compromise your integrity.
- Do your very best. Give 100% effort in everything you do. You might not be good at everything, but sincerely trying to do your best is all anyone can ask for. You might learn something new or you might learn what you were meant NOT to do. Sometimes, landing your dream job can take a number of attempts. Don’t give up.
- Be willing to learn. If there’s one thing that is certain, it’s that nothing is certain. Things change. Technology changes. Processes change. Don’t run from change, run to it. Embrace the opportunity to learn something new and once you do, learn it well enough to teach others.
- Mind your manners. Say please. Say thank you. Show the best of intentions, always. Be mindful of others’ time, and this includes being ON time and ON task.
- Ask good questions. If you don’t know something, ask. However, before you ask, make sure you don’t have another resource that can get you the same answer. Maybe it’s in some training material you were expected to understand. Maybe it’s something that can be found on the company’s website. Ask a question because you can’t find the answer, not because you weren’t willing to look for it and couldn’t retain the information you were already expected to know.
- Ask for feedback. You can’t fix something if you don’t know it’s broken. Ask for feedback, and more importantly, be open to the feedback that you get and act on it.
- Find a job you love. Many people spend more time at work than with their own families. Make sure you enjoy your work and your place of employment. Happy employees make happy customers.
Notice that our list doesn’t include technical skills, the name of a school, or a specific job title? This is because over our 20 years of experience, placing people into careers in Southeastern Wisconsin, we’ve learned that we can TEACH technical skills and many employers are more than willing to make an investment in job training. What an employer can’t teach is a good attitude and work ethic. Employees with great attitudes that work hard, with integrity and dedication are often the employees that are most successful in our workforce.
An award-winning job placement expert in Southeastern Wisconsin, Nissen Staffing Continuum can assist you in your job search in southeastern Wisconsin. As your strategic partner, we’ll help you take your job search to the next level. For more information about how you can find a new career, contact us today and allow us to help you focus on success!